Friday, July 27, 2012

Summer Reading

Here's a list of the best books I've read so far this summer (and by "I", we obviously mean Vanessa, since Stephen doesn't like fiction...that's a whole other argument). But you should totally read these novels, because they were great:


"The Beatiful and the Damned" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. If you liked Gatsby, or any of Fitzgerald's writing, or sad love stories, or great writing, or anything to do with the 20's, you should read this book. Of course it was well written, of course the characters were broken and sad and self-destructive, and of course it was fantastic.

"The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern. Wow. This book. It was mystical and believable and beautiful. It felt grounded, and yet had fantastical elements to it that made it seem magical, like a circus would be to a child. It has a tragic love story and such astonishingly beautiful imagery that I just can't get it out of my head. Literally. I find myself thinking about it frequently. I want it to be real.

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. This author has a real talent for plot twists. Seriously, just when you think you've got this mystery figured out, she completely turns things around. The ending is so painfully perfect though, you just can't even believe it.

"The Millenium Trilogy" by Stieg Larrson. (Also known as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series) I know I'm a little late to this party; these books have been on my reading list for like 3 years and I finally got to them - and OH SO GOOD. I could kick myself for waiting. If you like action, mystery, and clean, concise writing then you must read these books. And naturally, once you read the first one, you won't be able to read the rest.

"Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir)" by Jenny Lawson, The Bloggess. Funniest. Book. Ever. That's not even a lie. It's completely inappropriate, heartbreaking at some points, and so impossible to believe that it's real. I read her blog every day, so this book was something I was looking forward to. And yes, I technically read it in April, but it was so totally good (and awkward) I had to include it. Maybe because I re-read it last week...


More to come...

Ness

No comments:

Post a Comment